It’s a guy thing. Here’s the routine:
“How was school today?”
“So, what happened at school?”
Maddening! Anyway, I discovered an article today on the Scholastic website for parents which lists 10 questions to ask a child. You would think that having a conversation with your own child should be the most natural thing in the world. But I’ll be the first to admit I could use some help! Here they are:
- Tell me about the best part of your day.
- What was the hardest thing you had to do today?
- Did any of your classmates do anything funny?
- Tell me about what you read in class.
- Who did you play with today? What did you play?
- Do you think math [or any subject] is too easy or too hard?
- What’s the biggest difference between this year and last year?
- What rules are different at school than our rules at home? Do you think they’re fair?
- Who did you sit with at lunch?
- Can you show me something you learned (or did) today?
Incidentally, the website has a lot of other useful information too. Worth checking out.