I was a faithful user of baby carriers when Athos and Porthos were pre-walkers. I was also given a sarong sling which has been gathering dust on the shelf these past 5 years.
With Aramis, I’ve finally found the time to try out the sarong sling. So here is one mom’s opinion on the Big Question: baby carrier or sarong sling, which works better?
Baby carrier (I use the Baby Bjorn Baby Carrier Original)
- It feels very secure. Lots of features to ensure baby doesn’t slip out. Both hands are free always. But that also means taking out and putting on not that straightforward.
- The carrier’s design ensures that baby’s weight is distributed symmetrically
- Baby can be carried facing out or facing in (for naps or when very young)
- Padding makes it very comfortable, but also very warm
Sarong sling (I use Moms In Mind Basic Cotton Carrier)
- It takes practice to get baby in and out comfortably
- The carrier’s design means that usually one side of your body is taxed more than the other. Not a good option if your back is weak.
- Somehow I feel the need to use one arm to support baby, just in case he pushes off my body and slips out
- On the positive side, I love that I’m able to see and talk to baby while going about.
- Sling can also be used as covering for breastfeeding
Aramis is pretty comfortable with either. What I’ve ended up doing is using the Baby Bjorn for longer walks or when I absolutely need both hands free, and the sarong sling for all other occasions.
I know this is a question that’s of interest to new mothers. Heck, I’d have liked it if someone had done a comparison for me! So, gentle reader, if you have an experience that concurs or differs from the above, please do share it here!